Prebiotic Formulations Philosophy
A Prebiotic Foundation to Every Formulation
Scalp care is being touted as the new hair care. It is essential for strong hair growth that the hair follicle environment remains healthy.
Because every eco.kid product is formulated by a Trichologist (a person who specialises in hair and scalp care), they have been formulated with an instinctive “follicle-first philosophy”.
The unique insights that we have gained after more than a quarter of a century formulating exclusively for kid’s skin, scalp, and hair, has led us to the evolution of our healthiest choice formulations.
Our approach to formulating goes under the name of Prebiotherapy and consists of topical application of living plant compositions (prebiotics).
Every eco.kid formulation has a prebiotherapy foundation at its core, meaning the first consideration in the ingredient selection of an eco.kid product is how will the formulation’s ingredients better support the natural beneficial microbes (microbiome) of our eco.kid’s follicles/skin. Therefore, every formulation is free-from biocidal preservatives and rich in food-grade plant-essences that can be instantly utilised by our skin’s beneficial bacteria.
It is well understood in food science that prebiotics exert a remarkable influence on human health. Prebiotics are a source of bacterial food which promote the growth and activity of good bacteria in the gut. Prebiotics are broken down by our gut’s beneficial bacteria into short-chain fatty acids that are released into blood circulation, consequently, affecting not only the gastrointestinal tracts but also other distant organs.
In the follicle, beneficial bacteria break down the triglyceride components of our sebum into short-chain fatty acids that are released onto our skin to reinforce our natural protective acid mantle constantly recharging and balancing our skin's pH.
Prebiotherapy: Understanding the foundation of eco.kid formulations
Reviewing an eco.kid ingredients list on any Shampoo, Conditioner or Personal Care product will reveal the extent to which we have evolved every formulation to be comprised of a majority of food-grade prebiotics:
- Aloe Vera Juice - anti-inflammatory - antioxidant-rich plant compounds – effective in promoting the growth Lactobacilli Bacteria and other beneficial bacteria of the skin’s microbiome.
- Erythritol (Sugar) - microbial food and exceptional skin and hair moisturiser – natural preservation
- Wheat Peptides- microbial food and skin moisturiser - anti-inflammatory.
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride - skin moisturiser and microbial food - readily digested by beneficial bacteria to form Caprylic Acid and Capric Acid supporting the skin’s pH acid mantel.
- Natural Plant Oils & Butters (Lipids) – Omega 3 & 6 - skin moisturisers and microbial food readily digested by beneficial bacteria to form multiple Free Fatty Acids supporting the skin’s pH acid mantel.
- Plant Extracts - anti-inflammatory - antioxidant-rich plant compounds.
- Coconut/Sugar/Wheat Surfactants (Glucosides and Glutamates).
- Natural Gums and Carrageenan (Seaweed).
- Phytosqualane – Plant derived squalene.
- Lactic Acid – lactic acid belongs to the alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) family. A pH adjuster, gentle exfoliant and humectant identical to the natural acid secreted by beneficial Lactobacilli Bacteria on the skin.
- Vitamin E – a powerful oil phase antioxidant protecting against lipid peroxidation of skin surface lipids.
- No Biocidal Preservatives. No Artificial Fragrances or Colours. > 99.6% Natural Ingredients. <0.04% Synthetic Moieties in any formula. Audited by ACO Certification Ltd.
Prebiotic Formulations Must Not Contain Preservatives
We can not put all the goodness of pure food-grade plant essences into every formulation and then infuse them with preservatives that are toxic to our skin's natural beneficial bacteria.
Eco.kid knows it’s critically important that our kid’s personal care products are protected from microorganisms to ensure product longevity and user safety. Our Hurdle Technology approach rethinks traditional biocidal preservation.
Instead of using one powerful biocidal preservative, creating multiple barriers to microbial growth (or “hurdles”), we focused on research and development into establishing natural formulation ingredient hurdles to keep microorganisms in check. Eco.kid’s Alternative Preservation portfolio includes a combination of individual ingredients that symbiotically create a complete system that work with our formulations’ microbial growth “hurdles” to provide broad spectrum antimicrobial control in the bottle, but once diluted and applied to the skin and scalp these actives convert to microbial food to support the natural microbiome.